------- Comment From jan.hoepp...@de.ibm.com 2020-07-24 06:10 EDT-------
> I just wanted to try the kernel that I've build yesterday (see comment #6)
> and as a first step I wanted to recreate re-create the described error
> situation on an up to date 20.04 system:
> $ lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
> Release:      20.04
> Codename:     focal
> $ uname -a
> Linux zlin42 5.4.0-40-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jun 22 23:57:33 UTC 2020
> s390x s390x s390x GNU/Linux
> $ apt-cache policy linux-generic
> linux-generic:
> Installed: 5.4.0.40.43
> Candidate: 5.4.0.40.43
> Version table:
> *** 5.4.0.40.43 500
> 500 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal-updates/main s390x Packages
> 500 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal-security/main s390x Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 5.4.0.26.32 500
> 500 http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports focal/main s390x Packages
> $
>
> But by surprise I didn't ran into any problems!
>
> I was able to flawlessly make use of FBA devices in the following three
> different way:
> 1) (re-)used a FBA device that was previously in use, without wiping out any
> data
> 2) used a FBA device that I wiped out using wipefs
> 3) used a FBA device that I entirely wiped out (and zeroed) using dd
> (see the attached doc for more details)
>
> Looks like a fix for this problem came in with the kernels that were rolled
> out in between  5.4.0-29-generic and 5.4.0-40-generic.
> (Again I didn't installed the patched kernel, I just used the latest
> official one.)
>
> Message to the initial bug reporter:
> Please can you retry on an up-to-date 20.04 system (or after having updated
> your existing one, like for example with "sudo apt -y -q update && sudo apt
> -y -q full-upgrade" plus reboot in case the kernel got update, what I assume
> will happen)?

The issue is more likely to occur when the system has > 2GB of memory. I
can't see in your attachment what system configuration you're running,
but maybe that's the reason you're not running into the problem.

This was also my mistake when I tried to reproduce the problem. Once I had my
configuration changed to 8GB of memory I ran into the error immediately.
The problem really is that the ZERO_PAGE allocation for the discard I/O can't
be used on systems with > 2GB of memory.

The fix I proposed actually solves the problem and is currently in
review.

I'll post the commit id once the fix went upstream.

Jan

  [UBUNTU 20.04] mke2fs dasd(fba),Failing CCW,default ERP has run out of
  retries and failed

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:

  mke2fs,dasd(fba) guest edevices FBA,default ERP has run out of retries and
failed,Failing CCW

  ---uname output---
  xxxxxx -  5.4.0-29-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 29 14:27:18 UTC 2020 s390x
s390x s390x GNU/Linux

  Machine Type = IBM 3906

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
   mke2fs to dasd(fba) devices

  Stack trace output:
   no

  Oops output:
   no

  System Dump Info:
    The system is not configured to capture a system dump.

  -Post a private note with access information to the machine that the bug is
occuring on.
  -Attach sysctl -a output output to the bug.

  dasd(fba),Failing CCW,default ERP has run out of retries and failed between
the following syslog events,
  mke2fs running, before mounting and starting IO to dasd(fba) devices

  May 14 14:33:32 ilabg13 root: ILAB_IO_FROM_MSDI_START
  May 14 14:48:34 ilabg13 root: ILAB_IO_FROM_MSDI_RUNNING