This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1888648

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  network-manager crashes: "NetworkManager needs to be running"

  Hi. Sometimes network-manager crashes and I can't connect to any
  network. Restarting the network manager service via terminal hangs and
  even restarting the OS hangs and I have to force shutdown via power
  button.

  When I open settings > Wi-Fi it says: "Oops, something has gone wrong.
  Please contact your software vendor. NetworkManager needs to be
  running".

  I'm not facing the problem right now as I just restarted my laptop so
  if there's any information that I need to gather while this problem is
  happening, let me know. Thanks.

  Package: network-manager 1.22.10-1ubuntu2.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-42.46-lowlatency 5.4.44
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-42-lowlatency x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.4
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu Jul 23 14:07:57 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" - Release amd64 (20200423)
  IpRoute:
   default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlp2s0 proto dhcp metric 20600
   169.254.0.0/16 dev wlp2s0 scope link metric 1000
   192.168.1.0/24 dev wlp2s0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.36 metric 600
  SourcePackage: network-manager
  nmcli-dev:
   DEVICE          TYPE      STATE         IP4-CONNECTIVITY  IP6-CONNECTIVITY
DBUS-PATH                                  CONNECTION     CON-UUID
                CON-PATH
   wlp2s0          wifi      connected     limited           limited
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/2  neverlookaway
7b44595b-b6bc-4add-9873-a7af7393c65d
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/1
   p2p-dev-wlp2s0  wifi-p2p  disconnected  none              none
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/3  --             --
                --
   lo              loopback  unmanaged     unknown           unknown
/org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/Devices/1  --             --