I have a usb camera (SDI camera, attached to magewell usb capture) which
only works once. It displays the image in something like OBS Studio or
ffplay, and works perfectly. I can stop the capture. Then trying to open
the camera a second time does not work, I get a black screen in
ffplay/OBS.

To fix this, I can unplug the device and plug it back in, at which point
it works until stopped and restarted. So basically, I always have to
unplug it and plug it back in after stopping otherwise it won't display
an image a second time.

Debian 10 works perfectly fine using same physical hardware and video
software, but using (x)ubuntu 20.04 I get the problem as noted above. So
I suspect a kernel bug/regression.

I'm using an AMD 16 core system but don't know if it's related to that.
It makes no difference whether I use the USB ports on the motherboard
(USB 3.1), or whether I use an addon USB 3.1 PCI card. (And debian
doesn't care either which usb port I use, it works correctly there
across the board).

I have no idea how to report more information. I've done the software
updates etc., so whatever kernel is running in 20.04 as of this date,
that's what I'm using now.

** Tags: bot-comment
--
usb camera only works once until reset