Hello again.

This is a continuation of comment #185
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1850439/comments/185
where we describe hardware, symptoms, then #186 where we describe the
permanent fix we did.

## Other problem: "nasal" sound on speakers only

We noticed that some applications have normal sound (e.g. youtube in
Firefox), while some others have a kind of "nasal" sound (e.g. VLC
playing the same audio).  I would describe the effect as similar to a
very slight clipping producing high frequencies.  It is relatively
subtle, just as if the laptop speakers had worse quality.

The problem is observed only on machine speakers, and not on analog jack
output.

## Investigation

We reproduced the problem using mpv.
Then we tried to disable pulseaudio and have mpv play directly through alsa,
which cured the problem but, well, killed all pulseaudio features.
Then we instructed pulseaudio to use 48000 output sample rate, which allowed to
cure the problem and allow pulseaudio.

## Local fix: force pulseaudio sample rate

The fix we used is like this:

In /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ensure there is a line like:

default-sample-rate = 48000

Then "pulseaudio -k" to ensure no daemon with old settings exist.  You
might have to run "pulseaudio &" too, depending on context.

Anyway, with this change the "nasal sound" problem is fixed permanently
in all applications.

## Global fix

Thanks a lot to people working upstream if they can provide a non-
regressing global fix without users having to figure out workaround.  It
might be hard and we thank you.

  No sound on ASUS UX534FT

  Hi,

  after instal Ubuntu in dual boot alongside Windows 10, I've realised
  there is no sound coming out of mine new ASUS Zenbook 15 UX534FT-
  AA024R in Ubuntu. In Windows there is no problem. Found this topic
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1810214 which had
  the same problem with driver for Realtek ALC294 which is also mine
  sound card. But even with this fix it is not working on UX534FT. Can
  you please add fix also for this newer model?

  Release:      18.04

  Package: linux-image-5.0.0-32-generic 5.0.0-32.34~18.04.2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-32.34~18.04.2-generic 5.0.21
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-32-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Tue Oct 29 15:11:25 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20190805)
  SourcePackage: linux-signed-hwe