** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Focal)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-oem in Ubuntu.

  alsa/hdmi: support nvidia mst hdmi/dp audio

Status in HWE Next:
Status in linux-oem package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux-oem source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Focal:

  This is the justification for focal:

  This patchset will introduce a big change on hda_jack and hda_hdmi,
  So I sent the patcheset to oem-b 4 months ago. After 4 months of running
  oem-b kernel, there is no any regression reported on this patchset,
  now I am backporting the patchset to our focal kernel since our oem
  project is waiting for the patchset to be landed to ubuntu 5.4 kernel
  ASAP.

  This patchset are already merged to mainline kernel 5.5-rc and 5.6-rc,
  so there is no need to send the patchset to oem-5.6 or groovy kernel.

  [Impact]
  On some LENOVO I+N machines, when setting the graphic mode to discrete,
  The dp/hdmi audio on the Docking Gen2 can't work with this machine +
  LENOVO Docking Gen2, users can't find the hdmi audio entry in the
  gnome-sound-setting.

  [Fix]
  Nvidia developer submit the mst audio support to 5.5-rcN and 5.6-RC1,
  those patches could fix this issue.

  [Test Case]
  set the machien to discrete, plug the dock gen2 to it, then boot, after
  booting, plug hdmi or dp to dock gen2, the hdmi or dp audio works.

  test other machines without Nvidia graphic or without gen2, their hdmi/dp
  audio still work, and check other output/input devices like headphone,
  microphone, they all worked as well as before.

  [Regression Risk]
  one regression possibility is the audio jacks (including analogue and hdmi)
  can't work anymore, that means after users plug a headphone, headset, hdmi
  monitor or microphone to the audio jacks or hdmi connectors, the audio
  driver can't detect the plugging event.

  But regression's possibility is very low:
   - this patchset was already applied to oem-b kernel for 4 months, and
     oem projects didn't report any regression on the patchset
   - I tested the testing focal kernel with this patchset on many machines,
     includes a dell hda audio machine, a dell dmic  machine, a Lenovo I+N
     hda audio machine, a lenovo I+N dmic machine, a lenovo I hda audio
     machine, a lenovo amd hda audio machine. The audio on them all worked
     as well as before.

  This is the justification for oem-b

  Drop the B, so far only need to merge this patchset to OEM-B first,
  After the patchset is widely verified with oem-b kernel, I send the
  patchset to B and F then.

  This patchset will add support of mst audio for nvidia hdmi/dp, this
  patchset changes lots of common code on hda_jack and hdmi codec, so it
  is not easy to say it is 100% safe for other machines, but our oem
  project needs this patchset to be backported to ubuntu kernel, because
  the tight sechdule of oem project, we backport this patchset to B and
  OEM-B first, if the hdmi audio works well for a period of time after
  this patchset is merged, I will backport this patchset to focal, maybe
  eoan as well.

  [Impact]
  On some LENOVO I+N machines, when setting the graphic mode to discrete,
  The dp/hdmi audio on the Docking Gen2 can't work with this machine +
  LENOVO Docking Gen2

  [Fix]
  Nvidia developer submit the mst audio support to 5.5-rcN and 5.6-RC1,
  those patches could fix this issue.

  [Test Case]
  set the machien to discrete, plug the dock gen2 to it, then boot, after
  booting, plug hdmi or dp to dock gen2, the hdmi or dp audio works.

  test other machines without Nvidia graphic or without gen2, their hdmi/dp
  audio still work.

  [Regression Risk]
  Low, those patches come from mainline kernel, I have tested those patches
  on the machiens with or without nvidia hdmi, and on the machines with or
without
  docks, all worked well as before.