Same problem on Lenovo T480.

Laptop wont boot when monitors are connected (I have 1 monitor over hdmi
and 1 monitor over usbc-hdmi adapter). When i disconnect external
monitors then everything works.

Also same problem for Log out/Switch user. It cannot open login screen
and freezes on loading.

  Ubuntu 20.04 HDMI connected, no boot

  I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 (using the image created on 20 april) on
  my Dell XPS15 9560. This laptop has a Intel / nVidia combo.

  The problem i am facing is that when i have an external monitor
  connected to the laptop through the HDMI connector of the laptop,
  Ubuntu does not boot and hangs on the splash screen. I have not found
  any way to get logging on any kind.

  Before i was running Ubuntu 18.04 and did not have any problems with
  the monitor and HDMI cable. After boot is finished (without monitor
  connected) inserting the HDMI cable works fine and i can use the
  monitor and laptop screen without any problem.

  I have installed the preferred nVida proprietary driver. Also it does
  not matter if booting with nVidia selected or Intel selected.