This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
focal' to 'verification-done-focal'. If the problem still exists, change
the tag 'verification-needed-focal' to 'verification-failed-focal'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-focal

** Tags added: verification-needed-xenial

   [Hyper-V] VSS and File Copy daemons intermittently fails to start

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Xenial:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Focal:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Groovy:
  In Progress
Status in systemd source package in Groovy:

  We have most reliably reproduced this on a Standard_B1s in Azure in
  the North Europe region (>80% of the time). Tests in other regions/VM
  types do not show this failure as often (<1%). We have reproduced this
  in Xenial, Bionic, Focal, and Groovy. We saw an increase of test
  failures around a month ago.

  From the journal :

  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]:
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_vss.device: Job
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_vss.device/start tim>
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_vss.device.
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Hyper-V VSS Protocol
Daemon.
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]: hv-vss-daemon.service: Job
hv-vss-daemon.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]:
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_vss.device: Job
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_vss.device/start fai>
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]:
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_fcopy.device: Job
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_fcopy.device/start>
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device
sys-devices-virtual-misc-vmbus\x21hv_fcopy.device.
  Aug 11 09:55:28 ubuntu systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Hyper-V File Copy
Protocol Daemon.

  We've seen problems in the past with KVP daemons that looked very
  similar : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1820063

  [Test Case]

  There two main scenarios that need to be tested:

  1. Azure instances:

     - Just start an azure instance using our Ubuntu images and check
  the the status of the hv-vss-daemon and hv-fcopy-daemon services using
  systemctl.

     - If the issue is solved they shouldn't be listed as failed.

  2. Local Hyper-V VM:

     - Create a local Hyper-V instance and enable the two systemd
  services if necessary (hv-vss-daemon and hv-fcopy-daemon) and reboot.

     - You can change the integration services that are enable to the
  guest.

       1. With desktop integration and the backup feature disabled, the
hv-fcopy-daemon and the hv-vss-daemon service, respectively should not be
listed as failed.
       2. With the same features enabled the services should start without
errors.

  [Regression Potential]

  The major risk with a potential regression is that those systemd
  service units are shipped by a package produced by our generic kernels
  and not the linux-azure kernel. So in case of a regression we might
  need to re-spin the generic kernels.