So it works on kernel v5.3 but not v5.4?

  k/lubuntu 18.04.5 freezes during many functions

  ** Summary of problem  (Lubuntu 18.04.5 live)

  On executing `ubuntu-bug`, `apport-collect` or a number of functions
  that appear to use decent networking bandwidth, my (ibm thinkpad) r50p
  & t42p laptops freeze.

  Ctrl+Alt+F4 or no keyboard function seems helpful to try and work out why.
  The only keyboard function that still works is SysRq to reboot/turn off etc.

  These boxes are running Lubuntu 18.04.5 LTS in LIVE only. These issues
  do not occur when same is done with 18.04.4 in same way with LIVE,
  where no video issues occur either.

  This only occurs on i386 laptops where I need to use `forcepae
  --forcepae` to get the Lubuntu 18.04 LTS to boot, though I've only
  found this occurs on two boxes

  - ibm thinkpad t42p (pentium m, 2gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2;
rv350/m10 gl)
  - ibm thinkpad r50p (pentium m, 1gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2;
rv350/m10 gl)

  A slightly more modern ibm thinkpad t43 (pentium m, 1.5gb ram, radeon
  x300) does NOT have this issue, but doesn't require `forcepae` to boot
  (t43 has 18.04 installed though GA kernel)

  ** To re-create this bug

  1. Boot r50p or t42p using required "forcepae --forcepae" option on linux
kernel line
  2. open terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T
  3. enter "apport-collect 1891790"

  I'd expect this to work & not crash/lock system. In uploaded picture
  the only extra step was loading 2 terminals, one with with `watch -n
  'dmesg |tail'` o the other window.

  This has been attempted many times over last ~3 days, or step 3 was
  originally `ubuntu-bug linux` which likewise locks/crashes.

  It's not always identical... At times firefox doesn't start, the
  picture is of the furthest I got with firefox started before hand & me
  already logged into launchpad.. but bug hasn't been filed in >10
  attempts from either box.

  ** Background

  In scanning many problems reported on support forums after Lubuntu's
  18.04.5 release, such as

  - thinkpad x31

https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/reviving-thinkpad-x31-problems-with-messed-up-screen/1457/
  - thinkpad t42
  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2448800&p=13979514#post13979514
  - thinkpad t41

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1266918/latest-updates-to-lubuntu-18-04-4-lts-32-bit-create-almost-impossible-graphics-i

  I started doing some exploration using my boxes I found were also
  impacted

  - ibm thinkpad t42p (pentium m, 2gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2;
rv350/m10 gl)
  - ibm thinkpad r50p (pentium m, 1gb ram, amd/ati mobility firegl t2;
rv350/m10 gl)

  This led to
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1891790  (where I
  do mention this problem)

  ** other details

  I have a photo attached showing a little of the crash from a `watch -n
  1 'dmesg |tail`. The text in the terminal is hard to read due to other
  bug I mentioned (what I was exploring that made me keep coming up on
  this issue).  Photo can also be seen via
  https://photos.app.goo.gl/uZDAEmtZk95nx8vs9  (photo is t42p)

  I tried to `sudo apt install openssh-server` hoping to `ssh` into the
  laptop from elsewhere and have easier to see messages, however the
  `apt install` causes an crash like `ubuntu-bug`, `apport-collect` etc.

  The crash (as in lockup of video) occurs faster on the r50p ?? Other
  than it having less RAM (1gb of half t42p) I can't see why I keep
  having the r50p always crash far earlier/easier.

  I have noted a linux kernel crash file appears in /var/crash,however
  `ubuntu-bug` of that file causes lockup.  With bad display (due other
  bug) it's hard to view (and usually I `scp` file to the r50p but it's
  down as involved in this testing)

  I may have filed on the wrong package, maybe it relates to xorg-
  server?? but I can't see that being able to stop me from switching to
  a text terminal (ie. ctrl+alt+f4) which is why I've filed against
  linux kernel.

  Both systems are reliable with Lubuntu 18.04.4 or before, and are used
  by me. The r50p I always have running & is only rebooted when I use it
  for QA testing (rarely). The t42p isn't running all the time but is
  still used (it has dead USB ports so ISO was booted off hdd by
  installed `grub`)

  Same issue is occurring with Kubuntu 18.04.5 ISO booted live (it's the
  final RC which I believe is identical to released system)