When using pluggable devices it is advisable to use the UUID of the
device as this is guaranteed to find the correct device. USB block
devices may not be enumerated in order.  I suggest re-trying using the
UUID of devices and see if this helps.

To find the UUID, use ls /dev/disk/by-uuid/

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  zfs doesn't automount after a new disk is plugged in

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  I've a zfs that automount itself fine. If I plug a USB disk, the
  enumerated list of disk change and on reboot the zfs doesn't automount
  anymore and complains on missing device when trying to manually mount
  it.

  The pool was created with:

  zpool create -f srv raidz3 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sde1
  /dev/sdf1 /dev/sdg1 /dev/sdh1 /dev/sdi1 /dev/sdj1

  On boot the removable hdd is enumerated as sdd.

  Package: zfs-zed 0.7.5-1ubuntu16
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue May 15 11:12:55 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180426)
  SourcePackage: zfs-linux