This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
focal' to 'verification-done-focal'. If the problem still exists, change
the tag 'verification-needed-focal' to 'verification-failed-focal'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-focal

  mm/slub kernel oops on focal kernel 5.4.0-45

Status in linux source package in Focal:

  [ Impact ]
  As reported on bug 1894780 (Oops and hang when starting LVM snapshots on
5.4.0-47), some changes applied to focal/linux 5.4.0-45 introduced a regression
likely on the mm/slub code. A fix hasn't been identified yet, however,
reverting commit "mm/slub: fix a memory leak in sysfs_slab_add()", upstream
dde3c6b72a16c2db826f54b2d49bdea26c3534a2, applied to focal/linux as part of
v5.4.47 upstream stable release (bug 1884089), seems to improve the situation.

  [ Fix ]
  I propose to revert commit "mm/slub: fix a memory leak in sysfs_slab_add()"
while we don't find a better fix for it.

  [ Test Case ]
  Please see bug 1894780.

  [ Regression potential ]
  The commit being reverted fixes a memory leak from a 2015 commit, so the
chances of reverting it introducing more regressions is low. However, if it
does we can expect issues on the sysfs slab code during memory allocations.