meanwhile I upgraded to 13.10 to get a fix for touchscreen issue in xorg (just
upgrade - no completely new install).
Sometimes I have to plug in the modem twice until it is recognized correctly,
but then it normally works.

  19d2:2000 ZTE HSDPA Modem MF627 MF628 not recognized by network-
  manager in Ubuntu 13.04

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,

  I just had to notice that my ZTE HDPA USB Modem is no longer working in
Ubuntu 13.04 - but in 12.04 it worked.
  lsusb lists the device  as
  "ID 19d2:2000  ZTE WCMA Technologies MSM MF627/MF628 HSDPA/HSUPA"
  but the internal flash memory as well as the modem itself are not recognized
by nautilus or the network-manager respectively.
  Older workaround I found anywhere here with killing modem-manager does not
work.

  Ubuntu release 13.04 3.8.0-19
  usb-modeswitch 1.2.3+repack0-1ubuntu3
  modemmanager 0.6.0.0.really-0ubuntu5

  WORKAROUND: 1. I added the modules (not sure if this is really necessary)
  usbserial
  option
  in /etc/modules
  2.picked up the matching config file (e.g. "19d2:2000" - this is the device
ID) from /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/configPack.tar.gz and added the line
"ReleaseDelay=3000". Then saved the file at /etc/usb_modeswitch.d
  3. finally I created a file named "usb-storage.conf" in /etc/modprobe.d" and
copied in these lines:
  # Increase the default delay to avoid conflict with usb_modeswitch

  options usb-storage delay_use=3

  4. Connected the usb-modem, waited about 10-15 seconds until the
  internal SD-card was mounted and the the modem recognized by the
  modem-manager.