[Expired for nvidia-graphics-drivers-440 (Ubuntu) because there has been
no activity for 60 days.]

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-440 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-440 in Ubuntu.

  Xrandr brightness and gamma settings not remembered on power resume

Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Expired
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-440 package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Brightness Reset to Maximum on Nvidia GPU Desktop when setting on
  Blank Screen

  The Desktop LED Monitor brightness or Gamma level is not preserved and
  reset when I set gnome-control-center setting on Power to Blank
  Screen.

  I try to post as much details as possible.

  -I did a test by setting Nvidia X Server Color Correction and set any
  brightness and gamma.It get reset when Power Saving Blank Screen time
  active which I had set 10 minutes to save power by auto turning off
  the display.

  -The second test was by installing a Brightness Controller which use
  Xrandr but same result of getting reset when I set Blank Screen.I also
  manually set xrandr --output DVI-D-0 –brightness 0.5 --gamma
  0.5:0.5:0.5 an value get reset after the trigger from blank screen.

  -Third test by selecting Nouveau open source but same result of
  getting reset when I set Blank Screen.

  -Forth test ,  manually turn off the monitor ‘xset dpms force off’ it
  doesn’t trigger the brightness reset.

  Since the system is using Desktop GPU , the folder on xblacklight is
  empty without config files.

  The flow
  > Set brightness >  Power Saving Blank Screen time active > Brightness reset
> External Monitor dim and Turn Off > Press any keyboard button to wakeup the
display > Brightness Stay at reset value of Full 100% brightness.

  The details I had tested , I suspect gsd-power may have related to this
issue.This is happen before which I had find a solution to other brightness
reset happen when every restart , delete a files upon restart , open a web
browser with and play a video stream, login and logout , suspend and Power
Saving Blank Screen.
  All of this are affected by gsd-color.Which I had found a link a fix
suggestion
  https://github.com/LordAmit/Brightness/issues/102#issuecomment-374253884 by
disable  /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-color on startup.

  The only left is Power Saving Blank Screen still get reset when it get
active.I am not too sure whether it is related to gsd-power , I did disable it
but it also disable Power Saving Blank Screen together.
  It just goes to screensaver mode and did not turn off the monitor.

  I do not have any basic on gsd-power code
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/starnight/gnome-settings-
  daemon/blob/c64c243e345cb92ed0c197a377767bcbf1704c1b/plugins/power
  /gsd-power-manager.c Not knowing which line did it callback and get
  reset , presumably ‘GSD_POWER_IDLE_MODE_BLANK’ ?

  Fresh Install

  OS : Ubuntu 18.04.4
  Architecture: amd64
  Nvidia : GTX 1050
  Driver : NVIDIA Driver Version: 440.100
  uname : 5.4.0-42-generic
  DisplayManager: gdm3

  Journalctl log when blank screen active.

  nvidia-settings[19556]: PRIME: is it supported? no
  nvidia-settings[19556]: PRIME: No offloading required. Abort
  nvidia-settings[19556]: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)'
failed
  Check that logind is properly installed and pam_systemd is getting used at
login.
  gnome-session[1521]: gnome-session-binary[1521]: WARNING: Could not get
session path for session. Check that logind is properly installed and
pam_systemd is getting used at login.
  gnome-screensav[1551]: Source ID 19140 was not found when attempting to
remove it
  gnome-session-binary[1521]: WARNING: Could not get session path for session.
Check that logind is properly installed and pam_systemd is getting used at
login.
  gnome-session[1521]: gnome-session-binary[1521]: WARNING: Could not get
session path for session. Check that logind is properly installed and
pam_systemd is getting used at login.

  Reading the log shows somewhere it trigger brightness reset.The Nvidia
  Setting prime message is show because I am using a desktop dedicated
  GPU without using nvidia prime for laptop check to  switching between
  build in intel gpu and nvidia.

  In which way I could fix brightness reset when I need to set Blank
  Screen to turn off the monitor to save power ?

  I did another test by manually turn off the monitor ‘xset dpms force
  off’ it doesn’t trigger the brightness reset.It only happen when it is
  set with a timer at setting blank screen to 1-15 minutes and which it
  call for a PID which unknown and I assume gsd-power that trigger the
  reset.

  The most I can find is the gsd-power code
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/starnight/gnome-settings-
  daemon/blob/c64c243e345cb92ed0c197a377767bcbf1704c1b/plugins/power
  /gsd-power-manager.c .I am nor expert on daemon.service pin point the
  trigger.

  I did a search at askubuntu , ubuntu forum and ask around at ubuntu irc
channel but did not get any similar result.
  Either it happen in my system or it happen to everyone using Nvidia dedicated
GPU on desktop.I may need someone who using them willing to help on testing out
whether it happen on everyone.

  Any solution to fix brightness reset but retain power saving on
  monitor turn off automatically with blank screen ?