The hfs filesystem driver is part of the kernel, not the hfsprogs
package.

** Package changed: hfsprogs (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  GLIBC COMPILATION FAILS ON HFS+ MADE BY HFSPROGS

  Using LFS 7.0 and 7.1, gcc-4.6.2, gcc-4.6.1, binutils 2.21.1a and
binutils-2.22. Glibc fails to compile on HFS+ formatted by HFSProgs. An error
similar to an -fPIC error, except it does not state to recompile with -fPIC.
i686_GOTOFF Relocation error, on i686. I tried different versions of the entire
toolchain.
  On i686
  Install binutils
  install gcc
  install linux-headers
  install glibc
   -../glibc-2.16.0/configure                             \
        --prefix=/tools                                 \
        --host=$LFS_TGT                                 \
        --build=$(../glibc-2.16.0/scripts/config.guess) \
        --disable-profile                               \
        --enable-add-ons                                \
        --enable-kernel=2.6.25                          \
        --with-headers=/tools/include                   \
        libc_cv_forced_unwind=yes                       \
        libc_cv_ctors_header=yes                        \
        libc_cv_c_cleanup=yes
  make -j2
  make install
  Using the exact same procedure and commands I receive no errors on ext4. I
filed a bug with the Glibc developers, and they said that it must be a bug with
HFS+.
  PostScript
   I also receive a relocation error on x86_64 with the same versions and
procedure.
  Sorry I forgot to mention-
  The error is with librtld.so and libc_pic.so