** Summary changed:

- PCI graphics broken on AMD K8/K10/Piledriver platform (while it works on
Intel) verified from Linux 4.4 to 5.10-rc1
+ PCI graphics broken on AMD K8/K10/Piledriver platform (while it works on
Intel) verified from Linux 4.4 to 5.10-rc2

  PCI graphics broken on AMD K8/K10/Piledriver platform (while it works
  on Intel) verified from Linux 4.4 to 5.10-rc2

  This is an issue I faced before #1899304 but becomes more critical with
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1899304

  The big concern is that if AGP is disabled, there is no fallback
  display option on those platforms.

  After having discovered some K8 and K10 computers running AGP cards
  stopped working with 5.4.0-48 (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS), I had the idea to
  try some PCI cards to know if problems came from AGP or something
  else, and I've discovered another issue instead.

  Note that I'm not talking about PCI express, but good old PCI.

  The other issue I found is that PCI graphics on AMD K8/K10 platform is
  broken since years. This got probably unnoticed because such hardware
  works on Intel platform and those cards are not very common, so the
  chance to fulfill all the requirements to reproduce the bug are not
  that high.

  To make the test significant enough I used two PCI devices from two
  makers, and some that are not so old: they both support OpenGL 3.3,
  have 512MB of VRAM, and one of them even have HDMI.

  - PCI ATI Radeon HD 4350 (RV710, Terascale 1), HDMI + DVI-I + VGA
  - PCI Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS rev.2 (NV98, Tesla 1.0), DVI-I + VGA

  I've driven tests on four computers:

  - K10 PCIe based: Dell Optiplex 740 motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU
(dual core), Nvidia C51 bridge, 6GB DDR2 667MHz, PCIe + PCI
  - K8 AGP based: ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA motherboard with AMD Phenom II X4 970 CPU
(quad core), Nvidia nForce3 bridge, 16GB DDR2 800MHz, AGP + PCI
  - K8 AGP based: MSI MS-6702E motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ CPU (single
core), VIA K8T800Pro, VT8237/8251 bridge, 3GB DDR 400MHz, AGP + PCI
  - Intel PCIe based: Lenovo ThinkCentre M58 motherboard with Pentium E5200 CPU
(dual core), Intel 82801 PCI Bridge, 1GB DDR2 800MHz, PCIe + PCI

  Both PCI GPU work on the Intel based computer, and I get performances that
looks correct for those GPU given they are PCI ones. You can find real-life use
case test result here (look for “PCI”):
  https://wiki.unvanquished.net/wiki/GPU_compatibility_matrix

  I tested two Ubuntu versions and multiple kernels:

  Ubuntu 20.04 Focal LTS Linux 5.4.0-48-generic
  Ubuntu 20.04 Focal LTS Linux 5.4.0-47-generic
  Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial LTS Linux 4.15.0-118-generic
  Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial LTS Linux 4.8.0-36-generic
  Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial LTS Linux 4.4.0-190-generic

  All those configurations fail with those two PCI GPUs on AMD K8/K10
  platforms.

  I got some logs and screenshots, so I will add them.