Public bug reported:

On my Lenovo X1 Extreme with GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX
1050 Ti Mobile]

Updating to nvidia-driver-455 results in loss of brightness control.  On
boot, the laptop display brightness is somewhat less than fully bright
and cannot be changed.   The brightness up/down keys do pop up the gnome
gui brightness widget, and /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_0/* values do
change, but the actual display's brightness does not.

Problem occurs with either version of nvidia-driver-455 (the archive or
the ~graphics-drivers/PPA). Normal functionality returns if I downgrade
to any version of nvidia-driver-450.

Note also that manually applying this to
/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service has no effect on the problem:
https://github.com/hugh712/nvidia-graphics-drivers/commit/bccad5ee6444dd8c5c47ba19ea0232106a1086f5

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic

kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic #60~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 6 17:25:16 UTC
2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

nvidia-driver-455: 455.38-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

** Affects: nvidia-graphics-drivers-455 (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "nvidia-bug-report.log.gz"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1905591/+attachment/5437972/+files/nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

** Description changed:

  On my Lenovo X1 Extreme with GPU: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX
  1050 Ti Mobile]

  Updating to nvidia-driver-455 results in loss of brightness control.  On
  boot, the laptop display brightness is somewhat less than fully bright
  and cannot be changed.   The brightness up/down keys do pop up the gnome
  gui brightness widget, and /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_0/* values do
  change, but the actual display's brightness does not.

- Problem occurs with either version of nvidia-driver-455 (the archive or the
~graphics-drivers/PPA).
-  Normal functionality returns if I downgrade to any version of
nvidia-driver-450.
+ Problem occurs with either version of nvidia-driver-455 (the archive or
+ the ~graphics-drivers/PPA). Normal functionality returns if I downgrade
+ to any version of nvidia-driver-450.

  Note also that manually applying this has no effect on the problem:

https://github.com/hugh712/nvidia-graphics-drivers/commit/bccad5ee6444dd8c5c47ba19ea0232106a1086f5

  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      18.04
  Codename:     bionic

  kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic #60~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Nov 6 17:25:16 UTC
  2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  nvidia-driver-455: 455.38-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-455 in Ubuntu.

  no brightness control after update from 450 to 455

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-455 package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description: