For context, the update from the customer was that

cat /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/SecureBoot-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-
00e098032b8c

actually works fine UNTIL he runs the cert suite, after which point it
hangs.

So I wonder if not properly closing the file leaves this in a bad state
somehow once the script is killed with a ctrl-c...

As I said, I'm still not convinced this actually solves the issue, but
we'll see. I do hope this is all the issue is.

  Catting the SecureBoot efivar in /sys hangs

Status in Provider for Plainbox - Checkbox:
  In Progress

  During testing, a machine locked up appearing to hang on the secure
  boot mode test.  Looking at the test logs, both of the things that use
  boot_mode_test.py have triggered this issue:

  miscellanea/reboot_firmware   crashed
  miscellanea/secure_boot_mode  crashed

  as this doesn't do much beyond open up a file in efivars, this is
  puzzling behaviour.  Need to figure out what would trigger this and
  how to work around it.