I tried "bluetoothctl". That's a neat tool that I didn't know about, but
I couldn't find a command that would let me send stuff from my phone
without interaction.  I installed bt-obex and tried "bt-obex -s", which
allowed file transfer but I still had to acknowledge each one.

Packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  Can't receive files over bluetooth unless settings dialog is open

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in gnome-user-share package in Ubuntu:

  On 18.04 I could send files from my phone to my laptop at any time.
  On 20.04 I can't get files to be accepted by the laptop over bluetooth. After
much frustration and experimenting, I figured out that it will work, but only
if the bluetooth settings dialog is open. If the settings dialog is not open,
the incoming file is rejected.  If the dialog is closed after the file transfer
begins, the transfer continues but the file is discarded when the transfer is
complete.  This is very frustrating.
  I need to be able to send files (mostly photos and videos) from my phone to
my laptop without having to open the settings dialog on the laptop, just like I
could before upgrading.