** Changed in: linux-aws (Ubuntu Groovy)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Andrea Righi (arighi)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-aws in Ubuntu.

  aws: update patch to batch hibernate and resume IO requests

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-aws source package in Focal:
  New
Status in linux-aws source package in Groovy:

  During hibernation and resume the kernel is submitting an individual
  IO request for each page of data. In the aws kernel we are using a
  custom SAUCE patch to batch IO requests together in order to achieve
  better performance.

  Recently a patch designed to achieve the same goal has been applied
  upstream. This patch has been acknowledged by Amazon and it has shown
  a performance improvement.

  Moreover, this patch looks much cleaner compared to the custom patch
  that we are using and it's upstream, so it makes sense to drop the
  previous patch and apply this new one.

  [Test case]

  Hibernate + resume and measure the time required to perform these
  operations.

  Performance result reported by Amazon:

      One hibernate and resume cycle for 16GB RAM out of 32GB in use takes
      around 21 minutes before the change, and 1 minutes after the change on
      a system with limited storage IOPS.

  [Fix]

  Apply the following upstream commit:

   55c4478a8f0ecedc0c1a0c9379380249985c372a ("PM: hibernate: Batch
  hibernate and resume IO requests")

  Drop the custom aws SAUCE patch:

   11c3fa3b29722124f5c9122671983614383686db ("UBUNTU: SAUCE: [aws] PM /
  hibernate: Speed up hibernation by batching requests")

  [Regression potential]

  Upstream patch that allows to drop a custom patch that is doing the
  same thing. The only potential regression would be a performance drop,
  but according to Amazon's tests and our tests, we didn't notice any
  performance regression. Any other kind of regression would be
  considered as upstream regressions.