** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

  Bionic kernel 4.15.0-136 causes dosemu2 (with kvm mode) freezes due to
  lack of KVM patch

Status in Dosemu2:
Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  * Since kernel 4.15.0-136, Bionic kernel included a very complex KVM fix for
a kind of "race" in interrupt window with irqchip-split (reported in [0]). The
fix was proposed in the form of a patch series containing 2 patches [1] - this
was merged in Ubuntu though the stable tree, in the form of the following
commit:
  71cc849b7093 ("KVM: x86: Fix split-irqchip vs interrupt injection window
request") [2]

  * The problem is that such commit has a companion required commit,
  which was not proposed in the stable tree. In fact, there was a
  confusion among KVM community and the stable maintainer [3], due to
  the lack of such missing commit - because of that, the series was
  removed from stable trees 4.14.y and 4.9.y, but the solo commit was
  merged alone in Ubuntu kernel.

  * Without the companion patch, we might have a KVM infinite "loop" condition
in the core IRQ handling, since the merged commit requires an extra check in
kvm_cpu_has_extint() and a condition "inversion" in kvm_cpu_get_extint(), only
present in the missing companion patch. Users reported that this manifested as
dosemu2 (running in KVM mode) to be stuck in kernel 4.15.0-136 and -137, while
works fine in 4.15.0-135 and the
  -137 plus the companion patch.

  * So, we hereby backport the companion commit, originally upstream
  patch: 72c3bcdcda ("KVM: x86: handle !lapic_in_kernel case in
  kvm_cpu_*_extint") [4]

  [Test Case]
  * The test case proposed was the reported bug: try running dosemu2 (with kvm
mode enabled) and it fails without the companion commit.

  * In order to test the correctness of both fixes together, we could
  rely in the test proposed in [0] (running a guest with "noapic"), but
  it wasn't consistent and the VMM wasn't mentioned, so we might have a
  workaround mechanism in qemu, for example, preventing such test to
  reproduce the issue.

  [Where problems could occur]
  * Since this is a KVM core modification, it could affect interrupt handling
in KVM but without the fix, we are already experiencing a bug. Also, both
commits were backported to 5.4.y and 4.19.y, so Focal and subsequent released
are already running with them.

  [0]

https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/62918f65ec78f8990278a6a0db0567968fa23e49.ca...@infradead.org/

  [1]
  https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/20201127112114.3219360-1-pbonz...@redhat.com/

  [2] http://git.kernel.org/linus/71cc849b70

  [3]

https://lore.kernel.org/stable/d29c4b25-33f6-8d99-7a45-8f4e06f5a...@redhat.com/

  [4] http://git.kernel.org/linus/72c3bcdcda

  <Original description>

  With the latest kernel 4.15.0-136 updates on ubuntu 18.04 and ubuntu
  16.04, dosemu2 with kvm freezes boot.

  dosemu2 source: https://github.com/dosemu2/dosemu2

  dosemu2 package can be obtained from
  https://launchpad.net/~dosemu2/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

  1. ubuntu version
  lsb_release -rd
  Release: 18.04

  2. package version
  $ apt-cache policy dosemu2
  dosemu2:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: (none)
    Version table:
       2.0~pre8-2 -1
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  3. What is expected to happen: The dosemu program runs fine as in previous
kernel version
  4. What happened instead: The dosemu freezes on loading

  I have also reported this problem to dosemu2 developer, here is my bug report:
  https://github.com/dosemu2/dosemu2/issues/1404