This patch appears to alter the default behavior of a stable kernel in
that it essentially disables idle load balancing. Is that a fair
assessment ?

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu Bionic)

  [realtime app] disable idle load balancing on cpus from nohz_full=
  cpuset

Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  We're running realtime application on Ubuntu 16.04 with linux-image
  4.15 and found that from time to time we get jitter caused by idle
  load balancing. I'm providing here a patch which solved the issue for
  us.

  The realtime application is bound to isolated CPUs (one thread per
  CPU, nohz_full= in kernel cmdline, all IRQs moved to housekeeping
  CPUs), application doesn't use any linux kernel syscalls except in
  startup phase so we don't expect any interruptions of the application
  from the kernel or HW.