This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
focal' to 'verification-done-focal'. If the problem still exists, change
the tag 'verification-needed-focal' to 'verification-failed-focal'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-focal

  alsa/hda: the hdmi audio dosn't work on TGL machines

Status in HWE Next:
Status in linux-oem-5.10 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Groovy:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Hirsute:

  On the TGL machines, we plug a dp mst hub to the thunderbolt port,
  and plug a hdmi/dp monitor to the dp mst hub, then check the
  gnome-sound-setting, could not find the hdmi/dp audio device.

  [Fix]
  backport a patch from upstream, this patch change to assign
  the pcm slot dynamically on TGL macines.

  [Test]
  On 2 lenovo and dell TGL machines, plug dp mst hub and plug
  2 monitors to the hub or to the machine hdmi/dp ports, check
  the gnome-sound-setting, there are 2 hdmi/dp audio devices.
  and they all could output sound.

  [Where problems could occur]
  After this change, the hdmi audio device number starts from 0, 1, ...,
  while without this change, the hdmi audio device number is fix
  mapped, it could be 3 or 5 directly. So if there is some userspace
  applications depends on the fix mapped hdmi audio device, these
  applicatons could not work on TGL machines.

  So far, we don't know if those applications exists or not, but I
  could confirm the ubuntu audio stack builds on the alsa-lib and
  pulseaudio, this change will not affect the applications based
  on the alsa-lib and pulseaudio.

  And I already tested audio functions under ubuntu on the TGL machines,
  there is no regression.