Hi,

[Focal, Thinkpad T480s, 8550u/intel igpu]

Unfortunately I suspect this:

* Fix no picture from HDMI when it's plugged after boot (LP: #1924238)
    - drm/i915/display: Handle lane polarity for DDI port

in *-1024 OEM 5.10 kernel, that I do use in Focal, did break HDMI hotplug after
GNOME is loaded.
HDMI works if plugged when at GDM login screen and then in GNOME itself.
Additionally, my laptop's sleep seems to be broken (I don't remember if this
happens when HDMI is working or not).

  Fix no picture from HDMI when it's plugged after boot

Status in HWE Next:
Status in linux-oem-5.10 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Hirsute:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Hirsute:

  On Intel CML desktop, there's no HDMI output when the cable is not
  connected pre-boot.

  [Fix]
  Properly handle lane polarity so the driver can write different values
  to the register to enable the port.

  [Test]
  1. Boot with DP display.
  2. Connect HDMI under GNOME desktop.
  3. No picture on HDMI monitor.
  With the fix applied, the issue is resolved.

  [Where problems could occur]
  If the BIOS VBT table is not correct, which did happen in the pase, this
  fix may break those ports.