Installed and ran on systems containing issue. Kernel seemed to work
flawlessly. We are going to roll with this kernel and resume sales of
our systems.

** Tags removed: verification-needed-focal
** Tags added: verification-done-focal

  [SRU] Patch for flicker and glitching on common LCD display panels,
  intel framebuffer

Status in HWE Next:
Status in linux-oem-5.10 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux-hwe-5.8 source package in Bionic:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux-hwe-5.8 source package in Focal:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Groovy:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-hwe-5.8 source package in Groovy:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Groovy:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Hirsute:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-hwe-5.8 source package in Hirsute:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Hirsute:
  Invalid
Status in linux source package in Impish:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-hwe-5.8 source package in Impish:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-oem-5.10 source package in Impish:

  Filing this with my Kubuntu Focus (kfocus.org) OEM hat on:

  [Impact]

  We are having screen flickering and glitching issues with some of our
  hardware upon wake from suspend. We have worked with our ODM to figure
  out a fix for this. They had reported there were no issues when
  running Windows on the same hardware. As such, we tested, and found
  that this issue first began as a regression in kernel 5.0 (did not
  exist in kernel 4.18 per our tests).

  We identified a patch via
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/-/issues/272 in which this
  has been solved. Per our testing by recompiling the kernel, this
  completely fixes our hardware issue. As of 4-21, this fix has been
  merged into the Linux kernel per Timo Aaltonen, and will be included
  in the kernel in the 5.13 release.

  Our hardware ships with Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, which means the 5.13 kernel
  will not see these machines, at least in the forseeable future. As
  such, we request that this patch be added to the kernel. Per our
  testing, this patch is straightforward to add and works flawlessly.

  The patch that works best was created in collaboration with Kai-Heng
  Feng, is attached to this bug report, and can be found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1925685/+attachment/5491421/+files
  /drm-intel-both.patch

  Until this is fixed, we have a whole batch of hardware we cannot sell,
  so, as an OEM, this is a high priority.

  [Test Plan]

   * Install Kubuntu on an affected Kubuntu Focus M2 computer (not in
  the hands of customers at this time)

   * Notice screen glitching/flickering after wake-from-suspend.

   * Install kernel compiled with the attached patch. Boot from patched
  kernel.

   * Suspend laptop, resume. No glitches.

  [Where problems could occur]

   * Although this solves the problem for us and has been confirmed to
  work with the Intel developers that developed this patch, it could
  cause another display type to have problems. This is unlikely as it
  has been vetted by Intel and by the mainline Linux kernel developers.