** Summary changed:

- properly tear down KVM PV features on hibernate
+ kvm: properly tear down PV features on hibernate

** Description changed:

  [Impact]

  In LP: #1918694 we applied a fix and a workaround to solve the
  hibernation issues on c5.18xlarge. The workaround was in the form of a
  SAUCE patch:

    "UBUNTU: SAUCE: aws: kvm: double the size of hv_clock_boot"

  It looks like we can replace this workaround with a proper fix, by
  applying this patch:

  http://next.patchew.org/Linux/20210414123544.1060604-1-vkuzn...@redhat.com/

  This is required because various PV features (Async PF, PV EOI, steal
  time) work through memory shared with hypervisor and when we restore
  from hibernation we must properly tear down all these features to make
  sure hypervisor doesn't write to stale locations after we jump to the
  previously hibernated kernel.

- For this reason it is safe to apply this patch set also to the other
+ For this reason it is safe to apply this patch set also to all the
  generic kernels and not just AWS.

  [Test plan]

  This can be easily tested on AWS (but it should be reproduced by
  hibernating any kvm instance with multiple CPUs). Create a c5.18xlarge
  instance, run the memory stress test script (the same test script that
  we are using to stress test hibernation), trigger the hibernate event,
  trigger the resume event. Repeat a couple of times and the problem is
  very likely to happen.

  [Fix]

  On the AWS kernel replace "UBUNTU: SAUCE: aws: kvm: double the size of
  hv_clock_boot" with:

  http://next.patchew.org/Linux/20210414123544.1060604-1-vkuzn...@redhat.com/

  For the other kernels, simply apply this patch set.

  The fix has been tested extensively in the AWS infrastructure with
  positive results.

  [Regression potential]

  This new code introduced by the fix can be executed also when a CPU is
- put offline, so we may see potential regressions in the KVM CPU
- hotplugging.
+ put offline, so we may see potential regressions in the KVM CPU hot-
+ plugging.

  kvm: properly tear down PV features on hibernate

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Incomplete
Status in linux-aws source package in Focal:
  New
Status in linux source package in Groovy:
  Incomplete
Status in linux-aws source package in Groovy:
  New
Status in linux source package in Hirsute:
  Incomplete
Status in linux-aws source package in Hirsute: