I tried to upgrade an Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 two weeks ago. The system is
a server type installation running as a virtual machine on Hyper-V,
primarily running letsencrypt and nginx.

Actually I tried twice, both upgrades left me with a system that doesn´t
boot by default. The first iteration was I tried to accept maintainer
version for the boot/grub menu, and as that didn´t restart properly, I
tried another time, this time keeping my own version. Both upgrades left
me with a system that was not booting.

With the second upgrade, I experimented a little more. When the system
restarts, I am stuck with it doesn´t boot. When I then power off and
power on again, I get a boot menu with the options Ubuntu, Advanced
options for Ubuntu, and UEFI Firmware Settings. With Advanced I get
Ubuntu with various kernel options, with Linux 5.4.0-73-generic w/o
recovery mode, and Linux 4.15.0-143-generic w/o recovery mode. The
variants with 4.15.0-143 actually work, whereas 5.4.0-73 doesn´t work.

I do have some VMs that run 20.04 with kernel 5.4.0-something, thus I
assume it is an issue caused by the upgrade or previous installation.

Any idea what to look for?

I asked this already at https://askubuntu.com/questions/1338236/ubuntu-
fails-to-start-by-default-after-upgrade-18-04-to-20-04 and then
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/697332, but didn´t get a
response that helped me to resolve the issue.

Thanks, Joachim

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Upgrade fails to boot with kernel 5.4