cat /sys/power/disk
yields
[disabled]

cat /sys/power/state
yields
freeze mem

Trying to change any of them (e.g. the "state" file to "mem freeze disk
standby") with
  sudo vi /sys/power/state
results in vi in the notice:

'"/sys/power/state" E514: write error (file system full)
WARNING: Original file may be lost or damaged
don't quit the editor until the file is successfully written! '

Trying to change and save the file with
  sudo nano /sys/power/state
yields the message:
'[ Error writing /sys/power/state: Invalid argument ]'

Any other operation on these files like mv, cp, chmod result in a:
"Operation not permitted" error.

So why can I not change/write any of these files though the permissions
on them suggest it??

At least I alreay solved my problem with "sudo hibernate":
The root cause that this did not work is that "Secure Boot" was enabled (again
- for whatever reason) in my UEFI/BIOS.
After having switched it off (again) hibernation works again.
BUT:
Even after having switches off "Secure Boot" I still can not write any of the
files in /sys/power. No matter what I do or how I try!
This remains and seems independant of the kernel version.

  Ability to hibernate lost after update of kernel version

  Hi!

  I have Ubuntu 18.04 installed (due to Petalinux requirement) where
  Hibernation so far at least worked. Recently I got an update
  notification, confirmed it and am now running on this version:

  $ uname -a
  Linux datatel-XMG-CORE-M19-GTX-1650 5.4.0-77-generic #86~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
Fri Jun 18 01:23:22 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Before the update, using kernel 5.4.0.74 a "sudo hibernate" worked fine. Now
it does not, instead returns a black screen for a sec and then this notice:
  hibernate:Warning: Tuxonice binary signature file not found.

  In addition the system hangs for a couple of seconds.

  Looking for help on that I saw several posts proposing to adapt
  /sys/power/state, adding "disk" and "standby" to it. I have tried that
  in any possible way I could think of, using vi directly on the file
  (as su), writing it with an "echo... > /sys/power/state" command,
  making up a file in my home and then copying to that location using
  "sudo cp ~/<file> /sys/power/state". Neither of this works. I always
  get a permission error. I have even tried to "chmod" all the
  directories to "777" and that was successful looking at "ls -la" but
  won't help either.

  Maybe I should mention that my Ubuntu installation resides on a USB-
  Stick.

  I posted this on Ask Ubuntu and was asked to file a bug report. So
  here you are.

  Thanks.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:18.04.44
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.4.0-77.86~18.04.1-generic 5.4.119
  Uname: Linux 5.4.0-77-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.24
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Jul  2 09:16:59 2021
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20200203.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  VarLogDistupgradeAptlog:
   Log time: 2021-05-17 11:54:33.809310
   Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Done
   Log time: 2021-05-17 11:55:10.776569

  7th July:

  Sorry to say that I have meanwhile (after a restoration of my root partition
to kernel version 5.4.0-74) figured out that the above error
  "hibernate:Warning: Tuxonice binary signature file not found."
  does not come from the kernel update (to -77) but seemingly from my
repartioning.
  What I did:
  I have a 256GB SanDisk USB stick where I installed Ubuntu 18.04.04 .
  Partitioning was:
      /dev/sda1   fat32   /efi        1,4G
      /dev/sda2   fat32   /mnt/UDISK  55,6G
      /dev/sda3   ext4    /           140G
      /dev/sda4   swap                35,9G
  I made a backup of sda3 with dd deleted sda2 und sda3 with gparted and
increased the size of sda2 to the max then, partitioning:
      /dev/sda1   fat32   /efi        1,4G
      /dev/sda2   ext4    /           195,6G
      /dev/sda4   swap                35,9G
  I restored (former) sda3 to now sda2 tried to reboot, got a boot problem
because /etc/fstab still contained the old sda2 entry, removed that and the
system booted apparently normal.
  Then I made a "sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2" to get the full size of the
partition for the file system and it seemed to work fine.
  BUT: Now hibernation does not work any more and produces the above error -
before the Software Updater came forward.