It is a crash but also Xorg tries to catch its own crashes which creates
this headache for maintainers whereby you often lose all trace of where
it crashed. Often but not always, so we do get plenty of proper crash
reports from Xorg. In my experience it just takes more attempts and
eventually one will leave a file in /var/crash/

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-460 in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia] HomeOffice & Un-/Docking: X11 crash on resume when docked  to
  multi monitor

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-460 package in Ubuntu:

  X11 crashes on resume and my current desktop is lost and the login
  manager appears.

  I posted a bugreported here
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/issues/1197
  with configu details.

  But it seems to be nvidia, but may be a  workaround is possible in Ubuntu?
  This bug prevents me to use Linux for daily docking /undocking cycles for
HomeOffice (works fine with Windows).

  [  1272.639] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "DP-4: nvidia-auto-select
@1920x1080 +0+0 {ViewPortIn=1920x1080, ViewPortOut=1920x1080+0+0}"
  [  1272.639] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to set the display configuration
  [  1272.639] (WW) NVIDIA(0):  - Setting a mode on head 1 failed: Invalid
surface parameters
  [  1272.639] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     were specified
  [  1272.639] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to enter VT (mode initialization failed)
  [  1272.639] (EE)
  Fatal server error:
  [  1272.639] (EE) EnterVT failed for screen 0
  [  1272.639] (EE)
  [  1272.639] (EE)
  Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
   for help.
  [  1272.639] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for
additional information.
  [  1272.639] (EE)
  [  1274.034] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

  I found something similar which could handle the EnterVT failed issue:
  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/-/merge_requests/443/
  but I am not sure if it is already in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

  Hardware:
  Hardware used:
  Dell Precision 15" 7540, Xeon E-2286M@2.4GHz, 128 GB ECC RAM, NVIDIA Quadro
RTX 5000 16GB VRAM
  Dockingstations at Home and Offices: WD19DC (240W)
  Monitors used for Linux migration Office1: 2x 4K U4320Q, 42.5" @ 96dpi font /
No scaling a
  Monitors used for Linux migration Office2: 2xU3818DW, 37.5"
  Monitors used for Linux migration at home: 3x FullHD Dell monitors