Public bug reported:

In the 5.5.0-1ubuntu1 version of Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS it is not possible to flush
any ip addresses.
Test command (executed as root):
ip a flush dev lo
EOF on netlink
Flush terminated

Additional version info.
ip -V
ip utility, iproute2-ss200127

>From looking at a strace output it seems to me like the "dev" parameter
is not passed to the correct function.

** Affects: iproute2 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  Flushing is not possible

Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:

  In the 5.5.0-1ubuntu1 version of Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS it is not possible to
flush any ip addresses.
  Test command (executed as root):
  ip a flush dev lo
  EOF on netlink
  Flush terminated

  Additional version info.
  ip -V
  ip utility, iproute2-ss200127

  From looking at a strace output it seems to me like the "dev"
  parameter is not passed to the correct function.