** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: apport-collected

  use the upstream version for the kernel packaging

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  please use the upstream version for the kernel packaging.

  <doko> apw, sforshee, xnox: is there any way to see which upstream version
the linux package is based on?
  <apw> doko, if you are running it?  /proc/version_signature has the full
upstream version
  <apw> doko, for general inquiries we also have:
https://people.canonical.com/~kernel/info/kernel-version-map.txt though impish
is missing for some reason
  <doko> apw, no, just looking at the package
  <apw> doko, with like apt-cache ... likely no
  <doko> apw, could you add that information to the changlog, when you're
uploading?
  <apw> doko, i guess it would be reasonably easy to do... what is going to
consume it?
  <apw> doko, are you interested in when it changes?
  <doko> just *knowing* which upstream version is used
  <apw> it feels like it should be in the package description for "something"
  <doko> or even better, a linux-libc-dev with a real upstream version in the
package version
  <apw> we have always avoided having the third digit so we don't explode the
librarian with new orig files all the time
  <apw> perhaps we could put somehting on that linux-libc-dev though with the
upstream version in it
  <apw> if that would make life easier for you?
  <doko> documenting it in the changelog would be ok as well, assuming that you
can parse that kind of information
  <apw> are you intending to consume it as a human, or scripted
  <doko> yes, or have a different binary version for every binary package built
  <doko> human
  <apw> i almost want to put a versioned provides on it
  <apw> then if something ever did care it could actually do something about it
  <doko> and what would be the package that you provide?
  <apw> linux-libc-dev-mainline (= foo) perhaps
  <cjwatson> apw: TBH I wonder whether the "avoid new orig files" is still the
right tradeoff.  The size of a linux orig tarball looks rather less significant
now than it did when we started this practice
  <apw> cjwatson, we would provide a new .orig for every single SRU cycle in
the normal run of things, for every single kernel.  so 180M for each of 82
kernels.
  <apw> which by my calculation is 14TB every 3 weeks?
  <cjwatson> Hm yeah, I suppose ...
  <cjwatson> I always forget what an absurdly enormous number of kernels you
have
  <apw> or are you able to collesce the orig by contents?  as there is more
like only 4 for every cycle.
  <cjwatson> No
  <cjwatson> Well maybe if they're actually bitwise-identical
  <apw> they are bitwise identicle
  <apw> i assume you _arn't_ currently sharing the bits, but you might be able
to?
  <cjwatson> I think we are actually
  <cjwatson> But I'll check after this meeting
  <apw> ack and thanks
  <cjwatson> apw: Oh right, yeah, they get temporarily added as duplicates and
then librarian-gc deduplicates them
  <doko> so the space usage wouldn't be an issue in the end?
  <cjwatson> So it'd still be a TB a month or so, which isn't entirely
insignificant
  <cjwatson> Maybe better not change it until the librarian is on PS5 and we
get a feel for what space usage looks like there
  <cjwatson> Actually no, neither apw nor I can multiply apparently
  <cjwatson> 180M * 82 is 14G not 14T
  <doko> ;p
  <cjwatson> That makes rather more sense, I was wondering how you'd manage to
generate like a sixth of the librarian's total storage size in three weeks
  <cjwatson> So <1G extra per three weeks is noise and will not really be
noticed from our point of view.  I can't speak to whatever extra rebase work it
might require of course.
  <cjwatson> And of course it would presumably require some tooling changes.  I
do think it would be ultimately the right thing to do though.