This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
bionic' to 'verification-done-bionic'. If the problem still exists,
change the tag 'verification-needed-bionic' to 'verification-failed-
bionic'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-bionic

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-restricted-modules in Ubuntu.

   LRMv5: switch primary version handling to kernel-versions data set

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in linux-restricted-modules package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-restricted-modules source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-restricted-modules source package in Focal:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Hirsute:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-restricted-modules source package in Hirsute:

  Switch fetching dkms-versions data for these packages to the kernel-
  versions dataset.

  Currently the primary dkms-versions data is committed directly to the
  primary kernel packages.  This allows this information to cascade
  reliably to all derivatives and their associated LRM packages.  But
  once the primaries are closed it is increasingly hard to change this
  data.  This makes performing an LRM-only respin very difficult as it
  differs in handling from a primary spin.

  We move the primary version dataset out of the kernel packages into a
  shared external "kernel-versions" dataset.  Each package which needs
  this data then obtains the information it needs directly, with it
  committed locally to that package at update time.

  This renders preparation of am initial (-1) spin and a later LRM-only
  respin identicle.  We simply update the shared dataset and perform a
  no-change rebuild (./update-versions) on them and they will
  automatically get the updated version information.

  We will want to update update-dkms-versions in all primary main
  packages, and introduce same into all LRM packages.  As we already run
  update-dkms-versions in the primary main packages, and are introducing
  update-dkms-versions handling to update-versions in LRM this should
  not change kernel crank proceedure.  The cycle proceedure will need a
  new step to update the shared kernel-versions dataset before cranking
  commences.