Public bug reported:

Summary
=======

Installing linux-firmware 1.187.16, which became available on 17th Aug
2021, caused my wifi interface to disappear after reboot.

My machine:
Lenovo T15 Gen2
CPU: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7

I tried force installing previous version 1.187.15, but that version isn't
available!
So, in the end, I rebooted into a live CD and re-installed the OS!

In the newly installed OS, I just made sure to NOT select linux-firmware
package in the list of available upgrades, and I will stick with version
1.187.15 till I have confidence there is better and working version.

NOTE:

On an older machine, with an older chipset, I did NOT experience this issue.
Older machine:
Lenovo x230
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU
Wifi: Centrino Advanced-N 6205

System
======

I'm running Linux Mint Edge, based on Ubuntu 20.04, but with upgraded kernel
(5.11.0.34):
lsb_release -rd
Release:        20.2

Package
=======

apt-cache policy linux-firmware
linux-firmware:
  Installed: 1.187.16
  Candidate: 1.187.16
  Version table:
 *** 1.187.16 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.187 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main i386 Packages

Expected
========

Upgrade to linux-firmware=1.187.16
Reboot.
Wifi network Interface must continue to be available and functioning.

What Happened
=============

Upgrade to linux-firmware=1.187.16
Reboot.
Wifi network interface disappeared.
Therefore, cannot use wifi.

** Affects: linux-firmware (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  Installing latest linux-firmware (1.187.16) causes wifi interface to
  disappear

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:

  Summary
  =======