I reported that against mutter, but it can be gnome-shell as well, or
even Intel driver/kernel related. It happens since my switch to Impish,
I have never seen that issue before.

Integrated Intel HD graphics 400 onboard.

STEPS to reproduce:
1) Move the mouse pointer to the left edge of the screen
2) See that everything works as expected
3) Open an app so that the window comes up, eg. "Files"
4) Move the mouse pointer to the left edge again.
5) See that the screen goes black for a second, but the mouse pointer stays
visible.

Observation 1: At first I thought that it was related to dash-to-dock
because moving the mouse to the area where I used to have the dock
exhibits the flicker (I moved it to bottom for GNOME 40). But it turns
out that it doesn't matter: I can turn off the extension completely or
move it back to the left and the flicker always occurs.

Observation 2: It doesn't happen without any window onscreen. Having a
program minimized to the dock doesn't suffice to exhibit the bug. I have
to bring up the window and then the bug shows up. Fun Fact 1: "Files"
exhibits it more "aggresively" than "Terminal". It is easier to trigger.
With gnome-terminal I sometimes can hit the edge with the pointer
without triggering the glitch.

Observation 3: I cannot record the issue: Recording a screencast via
"Ctrl-Alt-Shift-R" doesn't work. Well, the screencasting itself does
work, but when recording the screencast the glitch simply doesn't
happen.

I am a bit lost further debugging this, any help is highly welcome. I
guess that my observations rather hint at mutter being to blame.

Package: mutter 40.2.1-1ubuntu1
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu68
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: unknown