I also checked with GTA IV game -- with the new thermald performance also
decreased. Average FPS for in-game benchmark drop from 53 to 42 (I run only one
attempt for each thermald version) (and game became unplayable as minimum FPS
in complex scenes became less than 30).
GTA IV has a different CPU load pattern: while STALKER loads only one CPU core
but to 100%, GTA IV looks to be multi-threaded -- it utilizes all cores but all
of them partially (no one was > 50%).

Packages, which is subscribed to thermald in Ubuntu.

  Thermald 1.9.1-1ubuntu0.6 keeps Tigerlake GPU frequency on 400 MHz

Status in thermald package in Ubuntu:

  After update to 1.9.1-1ubuntu0.6 from 1.9.1-1ubuntu0.4 thermald keeps
Tigerlake Iris Xe GPU frequency on 400 MHz after reaching some high temperature
value. It became impossible to play video games on the laptop.
  System: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
  Kernel: 5.10.0-1045-oem
  Laptop: Dell XPS 9310, CPU: Intel Core i7-1165G7 (Tigerlake), Integrated GPU
Iris Xe.
  BIOS 2.1.1 03/25/2021
  Display: 2560x1440 144Hz HDMI USB-C connection
  Room temperature is 23.5-25.4 degrees
  Game: Stalker Clear Sky (Wine/Proton Steam)
  Note: The game itself is very old and loads 100% of one CPU core disregarding
of frequency.

  GPU frequency is monitored by intel-gpu-top
  GPU frequencies (according to /sys/class/drm/card0/)
min/max/boost/efficiency: 100/1300/1300/400

  Previous behavior (1.9.1-1ubuntu0.4)
  After starting the game at first GPU reaches the boost value of 1300 MHz and
CPU/package temperatures continuously increase. At this point game renders at
~80FPS.
  After some time when threshold temperature value (~78 degrees) is reached the
GPU frequency decreases to ~660 MHz and FPS to 40-48 FPS. Package temperature
decreases to 66-68 degrees. It's possible to play for indefinite amount of time.

  New behavior (1.9.1-1ubuntu0.4)
  After starting the game at first GPU reaches the boost value of 1300 MHz and
CPU/package temperatures continuously increase. At this point game renders at
~80FPS.
  But after reaching the threshold temperature (about 81 degrees) GPU frequency
decreases to 400 MHz (gt_RP1_freq_mhz -- "efficiency" temperature for the GPU)
and stays on this value for the indefinite amount of time. The temperature is
maintained on 70-74 degrees. FPS is about 25-30 FPS, it is not possible to play
the game anymore. The only way to return the good FPS and frequency is to fold
the game window, wait some time and open it again.

  Also there is a workaround -- limit the CPU frequency to 2001 MHz and disable
Intel turbo boost. With such approach package temperature never reaches 80
degrees and it is possible to play game with 500 MHz and 35-40 FPS. Better than
nothing.

  If it is needed I can perform any additional checks, provide CPU frequencies
and so on. Most probably regression happened with 1.9.1-1ubuntu0.5, but I tried
only versions 0.4 and 0.6