** Description changed:

  When creating an r5.metal instance on AWS, the default kernel is
  bionic/linux-aws-5.4(5.4.0-1056-aws), when changing to bionic/linux-
  aws(4.15.0-1113-aws) the machine fails to boot 4.15 kernel.
+
+ If I remove these patches the instance correctly boots the 4.15 kernel
+
+ https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2021-September/123963.html
+
+ But after successfully updating to the 4.15 without those patches
+ applied, I can then upgrade to a test kernel with the above patches
+ included, and the instance will boot properly.
+
+ This problem only appears on metal instances, which uses NVME instead of
+ XVDA devices.
+
+ AWS instances also use the 'discard' mount option with ext4, thought
+ maybe there could be a race condition between ext4 discard and journal
+ flush.  Removed 'discard' mount and rebooted 5.4 kernel prior to 4.15
+ kernel installation, but still wouldn't boot.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-aws in Ubuntu.

  Bionic/linux-aws Boot failure downgrading from Bionic/linux-aws-5.4 on
  r5.metal

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu: