After discussing with the kernel team I'm marking this as duplicate of
LP#1877533,
since an increase of the default crashkernel size will solve both cases.

   [20.10 FEAT] Increase the crashkernel setting if the root volume is
luks2-encrypted

  Ubuntu 20.04.3 default crashkernel size insufficient for kdump

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:

  ---Problem Description---
  Unable to take a dump using kdump on host, service is enabled and correctly
configured.
  "[    6.110044] Kernel panic - not syncing: System is deadlocked on memory

  ---uname output---
  Linux ilzlnx3.tuc.stglabs.ibm.com 5.4.0-81-generic #91-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jul 15
19:07:49 UTC 2021 s390x s390x s390x GNU/Linux

  Machine Type = S/390

  ---System Hang---
   Once the kdump is unsuccessful, I have to load it from the HMC.

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
   Trigger kdump with a crash by:
  sysctl -w kernel.sysrq=1
  echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger

  *Additional Instructions for vanessa.ba...@ibm.com , finne...@us.ibm.com:
  -Post a private note with access information to the machine that the bug is
occuring on.