** Changed in: thermald (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: Colin Ian King (colin-king) => Ubuntu Kernel Team
(ubuntu-kernel-team)

Packages, which is subscribed to thermald in Ubuntu.

  system sluggish, thermal keep frequency at 400MHz

Status in thermald package in Ubuntu:

  This morning I upgraded to 20.10 from 20.04

  The system was quite slow although I have a fast machine. My virtual windows
10 on virtualbox became unusable. When I tried to have the virtual machine
open, I could not participate properly in a zoom call (I could still hear the
people but they said that my voice was very choppy)
  On 20.04 I was super-happy with the speed and I could have as many apps
running as I want.

  Based on google I started looking at
  % journalctl --follow
  and this shows quite a few errors but not repeating often enough to explain
it.

  Then I googled some more and found that /boot/efi was writing and
  reading.

  Then I googled some more and thought I had trouble with gnome. So I reset it
to default
  % dconf reset -f /org/gnome/
  and disabled the extensions. This made things slightly better but by far not
acceptable.

  After lots of searching I checked the frequency of the CPUs and it was at the
minimum 400Hz (as shown by i7z and also other tools). I tried setting the
governor with cpufreqctl and similar methods but this did not change anything.
  I then found an old bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1769236 and tried
  % sudo systemctl stop thermald
  this seems to work. After a few seconds the frequency shown in i7z goes to
~4500 MHz and the virtual machine seems to work fine.

  Package: thermald 2.3-4
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu50
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Oct 24 01:39:40 2020
  DistributionChannelDescriptor:
   # This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
   # For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
   canonical-oem-somerville-bionic-amd64-20180608-47+merion+X66
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" - Build amd64 LIVE Binary
20180608-09:38
  SourcePackage: thermald
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to groovy on 2020-10-23 (0 days ago)
  mtime.conffile..etc.thermald.thermal-conf.xml: 2020-10-24T01:35:59.781865