What can we do to address these types of issues, without relying on 3rd
party PPAs?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/zfs-linux/+bug/1939210

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  cannot promote clone: "not a cloned filesystem"

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  I have a zvol containing a Windows image for a virtual machine.  After
  restarting the system a node under /dev/zvol/... was not created for
  the virtual disk and no amount of prompting by `udevadm trigger`
  helped.  Instead I created a snapshot from the most recent hourly
  backup:

  # zfs clone rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda@hourly07
rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda-new
  # zfs promote rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda-new
  cannot promote 'rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda-new': not a cloned filesystem
  (didn't work here but carried on assuming something can be sorted later)
  # zfs rename rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda-old
  # zfs rename rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda-new rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda

  Entries in /dev appeared and I could start the virtual machine.
  Trying to promote the clone gives 'not a cloned filesystem' message.
  I later renamed the old zvol and tried to cleanup:

  # zfs rename rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda-old rpool/to-be-deleted
  #  zfs destroy rpool/to-be-deleted@hourly07
  cannot destroy 'rpool/to-be-deleted@hourly07': snapshot has dependent clones
  use '-R' to destroy the following datasets:
  rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda@hourly09
  rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda@hourly10
  rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda
  # zfs promote rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda
  cannot promote 'rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda': not a cloned filesystem

  # zfs get origin rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda
  NAME                            PROPERTY  VALUE                         SOURCE
  rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda  origin    rpool/to-be-deleted@hourly07  -

  # zfs get clones rpool/to-be-deleted@hourly07
  NAME                          PROPERTY  VALUE                           SOURCE
  rpool/to-be-deleted@hourly07  clones    rpool/vm/windows/windows10/hda  -

  The dependency between seems to be as expected.  This small test fails
  in the same way:

  # zfs create -V1G rpool/vm/test
  # zfs snapshot rpool/vm/test@test2
  # zfs clone rpool/vm/test@test2 rpool/vm/test3
  # zfs promote rpool/vm/test3
  cannot promote 'rpool/vm/test3': not a cloned filesystem
  # zfs get origin rpool/vm/test3
  NAME            PROPERTY  VALUE                SOURCE
  rpool/vm/test3  origin    rpool/vm/test@test2  -
  # zfs get clones rpool/vm/test@test2
  NAME                 PROPERTY  VALUE           SOURCE
  rpool/vm/test@test2  clones    rpool/vm/test3  -

  All the zpool members are ONLINE and no errors are reported.

  # lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID: Ubuntu
  Release:        20.04
  Codename:       focal

  # uname -r
  5.11.0-37-generic

  # modinfo zfs | grep -i version
  version:        2.0.2-1ubuntu5.1
  srcversion:     F267DF7B3FFB43AFE76257D
  vermagic:       5.11.0-37-generic SMP mod_unload modversions

  # apt-cache policy zfsutils-linux
  zfsutils-linux:
    Installed: 0.8.3-1ubuntu12.12
    Candidate: 0.8.3-1ubuntu12.13