Also just tested the 3.13.5 from mainline and noticed that openipmi does
not start there, either.  Same symptoms.

  (regression?) openipmi fails to start on kernels 3.13.0-11-generic and
  3.13.0-12-generic

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  When updating 14.04 to 3.13.0-12 I noticed that the openipmi service
  failed to start on reboot.  After running 'sudo service openipmi
  start', the service would still fail to start because it failed to
  load the ipmi modules.

  Kernel 3.13.0-8, which was previously on the system, works fine.

  I also  updated to linux-image 3.14.0-031400rc4-generic from the
  mainline site and the openipmi service starts working again.

  Steps to reproduce:

  Install 14.04 server, amd64 version.  Make sure kernel 3.13.0-11 or -12 are
installed
  Install openipmi.
  Try to start the openipmi service (sudo service ipmi start)

  Actual results:
  openipmi fails to load the ipmi modules and the service fails to start

  Expected results:
  openipmi starts without problems.

  This is an important issue because tools like ipmitool and Dell's
  iDRAC service module for Ubuntu rely on a working openipmi in order to
  function properly.  The 3.14 kernels seem to have a fix of some sort
  in them.