Why is this invalid? I presume because there's the idmapped mounts
feature. The problem is that this doesn't work in 5.13 when BTRFS is the
underlying filesystem. So shiftfs is still useful. Its turned on in
master build[1], why not for OEM, which is the only 5.13 available for
focal?

Here's a discussion suggesting that idmapped mounts for BTRFS won't be
available till 5.15[2]

[1]
https://git.launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel/ubuntu/+source/linux-oem/+git/focal/commit/?h=oem-5.13&id=c79066e1cb62dee340b050e98284939bcdabef0f
[2]
https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/are-there-plans-to-map-shiftfs-config-option-to-new-5-12-kernel-id-mapping/11704/5?u=crass

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-oem-5.13 in Ubuntu.

  shiftfs module is not built because CONFIG_SHIFT_FS is not set

Status in linux-oem-5.13 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux-oem-5.13 source package in Focal:

  Shiftfs is built and included in all other ubuntu kernels that I know
  of and if I'm not mistaken is sponsored by ubuntu mostly for use with
  LXD containers, which is my use case. It also included in the linux-
  oem-5.10. Is there a reason shiftfs is not included in the 5.13 oem
  release?