** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Almost all USB ports suddenly stopped working; unbootable

  This package needs to be pulled NOW.  It disables almost all USB-3.0
  and USB-C ports completely.

  Even though I had automatic software updates turned OFF (or so I
  thought), my Mac Pro suddenly got a new kernel when I rebooted it this
  morning:

  Linux macpro-obs 5.11.0-44-generic #48~20.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 14
  15:36:44 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  and it contains a P0 showstopper bug.  Upon rebooting, I got dropped
  into the initrd prompt because Linux could not see the external USB
  drive that I'm booting from (WDBAGF5000AGY-WESN).

  I wasted an entire day figuring out what was wrong, and even went so
  far as to order a replacement SSD, planning to rebuild everything from
  scratch, because the drive failed to appear in every single USB port I
  tried.

  Then I discovered that a different SSD didn't work, either.  At that
  point, I realized that something else was wrong, and I kept trying
  until I found one other port that worked.  I was then able to boot and
  get dmesg and lsusb output.

  This kernel update broke not only the built-in ports, but also the
  ports on a generic USB-C PCIe card (Amazon B08PF8XR73).

  Mac Pro built-in USB-3.0(A) ports (2x): working
  Mac Pro built-in USB-C ports (4x): dead
  USB-C PCIe card USB-C ports (2x): dead
  USB-C PCIe card USB-3.0(A) ports (5x): dead

  All devices fail to appear in lsusb when attached to the port,
  including an Apple USB keyboard, an Anker USB-C Ethernet adapter, a WD
  SSD, and a Sandisk SSD.

  I'm going to roll back my kernel to a working kernel, but this package
  needs to be pulled NOW before it affects too many people.  This is too
  catastrophic a bug to wait even a day.