It's been several years since my report! Still reproducible on latest
Ubuntu.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-meta-hwe in Ubuntu.

  Keyboard NumLock indicator turns off on connecting another keyboard

Status in linux-meta-hwe package in Ubuntu:

  My USB HID keyboard has NumLock LED. It usually works fine. However,
  when I plug in YubiKey (hardware security token, it is also identified
  as a USB HID keyboard) NumLock LED turns OFF, but the NumLock feature
  is still ON.

  If I press NumLock, NumLock becomes disabled (it is displayed by DE
  and checked by typing). If I press NumLock again, NumLock turns back
  ON with LED.

  I originally thought that issue could be related to the fact that
  YubiKey does not have a NumLock led, so it reports LED as nonexisting
  and stuff happens. However, today I tried attaching another USB
  keyboard: LED on first one still goes off; but LED on second goes ON
  immediately after plugging in. Pressing NumLock once disables NumLock
  and LED on first keyboard, as with YubiKey; pressing again enabled
  NumLock and both LEDs.

  Seems like my user session (on vt2) is running Xorg while login screen
  (on vt1, the one that allows to choose a user and that you see before
  first login) is running Wayland; both are faulty. Because of this, I
  believe the issue is in the kernel.

  However, I am not sure, so you can ask for way more reports to be
  added, I will add those. Reproducing should be pretty easy with any
  cheap USB keyboards, nothing special is used by me.

  Operating system: Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver.
  Linux kernel: 18.04 HWE, 5.0.0-25. However, I think I saw this blinking
before upgrading to HWE.
  DE: GNOME.

  Package: linux-generic-hwe-18.04 5.0.0.29.86
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-25.26~18.04.1-generic 5.0.18
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-25-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME