This issue is solved in Debian a long time ago:

metapackage https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-linux depends on
small firmware-linux-free package and firmware-linux-nonfree metapackage

metapackage https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-linux-nonfree
depends on most useful "nonfree" firmware, including this pretty
firmware-misc-nonfree package (takes only ~40 MB after installation, instead of
~900MB sizes of Ubuntu's linux-firmware):

https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-misc-nonfree

Btw, netronome firmware is packaged separately in Debian, as you wish,
see https://packages.debian.org/sid/firmware-netronome

Someone from Ubuntu developers decided simply put all useful and almost
not used firmware into huge package, which is updated very often and
this causes a lot of problems for users, especially who uses SSD storage
or slow internet connection :(

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  split some large, lesser-used firmware files into -extra package

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-firmware source package in Jammy:

  The linux-image-generic package depends on linux-firmware which is
  over half a gigabyte in size installed.  I will assume that quite many
  people do not have netronome hardware which weighs in at almost 150MB
  of that.  I kindly suggest to put such large firmware for less common
  hardware into its own linux-firmware-extra package which would be
  recommended by linux-firmare.

  Comments?

  I'm willing to help with the packaging provided that the changes have
  a chance to land.