Well, yes and no. xgene-uboot *is* required. But xgene-uboot *is* the
generic kernel - it just has a u-boot wrapper prepended. So what I meant
by comment #10, is that I wonder should allow xgene-uboot in the same
cases where we allow -generic for HWE kernels, such as this code from
src/maasserver/utils/osystems.py:

    if subarch != "generic" and (
        (hwe_kernel and validate_kernel_str(hwe_kernel))
        or (min_hwe_kernel and validate_kernel_str(min_hwe_kernel))
    ):
        raise ValidationError(
            "Subarchitecture(%s) must be generic when setting hwe_kernel."
            % subarch
        )

** Changed in: maas

  Unable to deploy HWE kernel with sub-arch set to xgene-uboot

Status in MAAS:
  Expired

Bug description:
  When trying to deploy Moonshot nodes, the sub-arch must be set to
  xgene-uboot for it to be deployed with GA kernel.

  However, when trying to deploy it with the HWE kernel it will complain that:
      Subarchitecture(xgene-uboot) must be generic when setting hwe_kernel.

  [ deleted the bit about how generic/hwe fails, because that is
  expected. this machine requires xgene-uboot/hwe ]