Public bug reported:

I would like to use a Wi-Fi card supported by the r8188eu kernel module
in the initramfs, in Ubuntu 20.04. I add the module using a custom
initramfs-tools hook. My problem is that there is a difference in the
firmware dependencies of the module between the standard 5.4 kernel and
the current HWE 5.15 kernel: in 5.4, the module depends on
/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin, while in 5.15 it no longer does
so. You can verify it using `modinfo -F firmware r8188eu` (perhaps with
the `-k` parameter if you do not want to check the currently run
kernel).

The card requires the mentioned firmware file. In order to use it with
both kernels, in addition to `manual_add_modules r8188eu`, I have to put
something like `copy_file firmware
/lib/firmware/rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin` in my initramfs-tools hook.

The bug is fixed (https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YulcdKfhA8dPQ78s@nx64de-
df6d00/) in Linux 5.15.66 (https://lwn.net/Articles/907524/). Please
consider backporting the fix or updating the HWE kernel package to
5.15.66.

** Affects: linux-meta-hwe-5.15 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-meta-hwe-5.15 in Ubuntu.

  The r8188eu kernel module does not depend on the
  rtlwifi/rtl8188eufw.bin firmware file in the 20.04 HWE kernel

Status in linux-meta-hwe-5.15 package in Ubuntu: