Public bug reported:

When launching large arm64 instances on the focal or jammy ami, cma
allocation errors appear in the dmesg out:

[    0.063255] cma: cma_alloc: reserved: alloc failed, req-size: 4096
pages, ret: -12

As far as I can tell, this does not impact instance launch in a
meaningful way, but I am unsure of the other implications of this. I was
able to confirm that these messages are only present in 5.15, as they do
not show up in the bionic image, and rolling back focal to linux-aws 5.4
avoids them as well.

This was present in at least 2 instance types and only appears to pop up
in large sizes (2x4 does not produce them, 64x124 (c6gn.16xlarge) does)

This could be as simple as just disabling CMA in the linux-aws pkg, as
it appears this is already the case in linux-azure(LP:  #1949770).

Attaching dmesg out to the report.

# Replication
+ Launch a large arm64 instance (c6gn.16xlarge)
+ Observe the messages in kern.log / dmesg

** Affects: linux-aws (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "dmesg.txt"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1990167/+attachment/5617126/+files/dmesg.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-aws in Ubuntu.

  cma alloc failure in large 5.15 arm instances

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu: