Hi!

We are using Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS on 20 Dell PowerEdge R650 systems.

The systems are equipped with "Intel(R) Ethernet 25G 2P E810-XXV Adapter"
network cards.
When using the 5.4 kernel (specifically we tested kernel 5.4.0-125-generic) the
network card is working without issues.

When using the HWE kernel (specifically we tested kernel 5.15.0-47-generic) the
system will only boot when the NIC has not been configured using netplan.
After configuring (and therefore enabling) the NIC in netplan, the system will
hang at "Wait for network to be configured".

After waiting for some time other error messages also are being shown:
"INFO: task kworker xyz blocked for more than 120 seconds. Not tainted
5.15.0-46-generic"
Same for task systemd-network and systemd-udevd.

The NIC is using "ice" kernel driver:
root@metal020:/home/philippalbrecht# dmesg | grep -i ethernet
[    5.085905] ice: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection E800 Series Linux Driver -
version 0.8.1-k

I suspect there have been changes performed in that particular driver
between 5.4 and 5.15 release.

If additional information is required I am happy to provide.

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags: bot-comment
--
Ubuntu 20.04 HWE Kernel refuses to boot Intel E810-XXV NIC
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1990156