> In general, does strace get a release for each kernel release? Should
it be updated in parallel?

I tried to find an answer to this question and I would say yes. As is
stated in [1], strace follows the same release cycle as the kernel. In
addition, every strace release at least comes with a non-backward
compatible change, which is the update of the ioctl commands list (for
an example see [2]).

So instead of cherry-picking the 2 commits mwhudson mentions, I'd rather
update to 5.19 since the default kernel for kinetic is 5.19 (both
commits belong to this version).

[1] https://lists.strace.io/pipermail/strace-devel/2022-August/011094.html
[2]
https://github.com/strace/strace/commit/22f61979141fa5c9732d01ea69c23f46a3e2868a

  FTBFS on kinetic

Status in strace package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  As can be seen in [1], strace FTBFS in kinetic: this is caused by the
  kernel headers (linux-libc-dev) which do not define F_GETLK64 and
  other on 64b builds because the kernel contains a bogus commit
  (306f7cc1e906 "uapi: always define F_GETLK64/F_SETLK64/F_SETLKW64 in
  fcntl.h"). This commit actually did the opposite of what it was
  supposed to do, namely defining those macros even on 64b builds. There
  is an attempt here to fix this which was not merged yet:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/cajf2gtqtnmoeb62-63ou8y4dbrdym7iztdtfluxx9u0ltwu...@mail.gmail.com/T/

  [1]: https://launchpadlibrarian.net/625441996/buildlog_ubuntu-kinetic-
  amd64.strace_5.16-0ubuntu4_BUILDING.txt.gz