A test kernel is being build at this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~fheimes/+archive/ubuntu/test
(will be available in some minutes)

  [UBUNTU 18.04] Ubuntu 18.04 crashes during IPL

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:

  ---Problem Description---
  Ubuntu 18.04 crashes during IPL with no output on the console.

  Contact Information = Viktor Mihajlovski <mihaj...@de.ibm.com>

  ---uname output---
  n/a

  Machine Type = 3096

  ---Debugger---
  A debugger is not configured

  ---Steps to Reproduce---
   Install Ubuntu 18.04 as a KVM guest using the following command:

  virt-install -n bionic --cdrom
  /var/lib/libvirt/images/ubuntu-18.04.5-server-s390x.iso --memory 2048
  --disk size=8

  then reboot.

  Stack trace output:
   no

  Oops output:
   no

  == Comment: #1 - Viktor Mihajlovski <mihaj...@de.ibm.com> - 2022-10-25
10:48:30 ==
  Installing under z/VM leads to the same failure.

  == Comment: #2 - Viktor Mihajlovski <mihaj...@de.ibm.com> - 2022-10-25
10:55:10 ==
  I have captured a dump using virsh dump --memory-only. The output of crash
log is uploaded

  == Comment: #7 - Harald Freudenberger <fre...@de.ibm.com> - 2022-10-26
07:33:52 ==
  Looks like all ubuntu 18.04 installations on s390 are not working any more.
  It is not an issue with z14 but z17 also fails to run a fresh installed
ubuntu 18.04.

  == Comment: #8 - Harald Freudenberger <fre...@de.ibm.com> - 2022-10-26
08:25:52 ==
  when I use the 'advanced installation' where I am able to choose the kernel
package and then choose the 4.15.0-50 generic the installed Ubuntu 18.04 comes
up fine. So this issue is somewhere between kernel 4.15.0-50 and 4.15.0-194.