Happy to provide more info/logs/whatever if you can tell me where to
look ;-)

  No boot possible - Cannot open root device

Status in MAAS:
  Triaged

  MaaS cannot boot on my X11DPi-NT and will therefore fail to
  commission. It will instantly fail after grub.

  It will fail to boot saying that is not able to open root device. I
  even tried supplying the squashfs via python on a different port as
  the url is somehow cut off a bit, but to no avail. The python
  webserver doesn't even see any connection try.

  ( custom kernel params: root=squash:http://10.0.33.253:8080/squashfs
  python webserver: python3 -m http.server 8080)

  Steps to reproduce:

  1. Setup maas ;)
  2. Try to commision server
  3. See the kernel and initrd download fly by
  4. Boom kernel panic

  Hardware:
  Supermicro X11DPi-NT with UEFI http Networkboot enabled
  NIC: Intel X722