Thanks Patrick, I found that this was accessible on host as
/writable/system-data/var/lib/snapd/seed/cmdline.txt and updating it
there worked (after reboot).

  memory cgroup disabled on Ubuntu Core 18

  On Ubuntu Core 18, the memory cgroup is disabled, it seems that it
  needs to be manually enabled. I was able to enable it by adding
  `cgroup_enable=memory cgroup_memory=1` to the kernel command line, but
  on Ubuntu I think the memory cgroup should be enabled by default
  shouldn't it?

  $ cat /proc/cgroups
  #subsys_name  hierarchy       num_cgroups     enabled
  cpuset        2       1       1
  cpu   4       100     1
  cpuacct       4       100     1
  blkio 5       100     1
  memory        0       109     0
  devices       6       100     1
  freezer       9       4       1
  net_cls       3       1       1
  perf_event    10      1       1
  net_prio      3       1       1
  pids  8       107     1
  rdma  7       1       1

  I see this with

  Linux localhost 5.4.0-1043-raspi #47~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Mon
  Aug 23 14:39:46 UTC 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

  on Ubuntu Core 18, but folks have informed me that the same is true on
  Ubuntu Core 20 as well.